Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce Recycling


Last week my wife left me... it was a very sad time for me. But before you jump to any inaccurate conclusions, our marriage is as good as it has ever been over the past 31 years. She travels home every month or so to take care of her mom and dad, helping out with doctor's appointment, clothes shopping for her mom (who has Alzheimer's disease), etc.

Before she takes the trip, she stocks up things for me to eat at for dinner while she's away. This shopping trip I was with her and we decided that spaghetti would be good with a huge salad with the abundant greens we have in our garden, this time of year. So, I picked out a sauce that looked like it would be a good base (I'm near obsessive with adding extra herbs to things... drives her nuts sometimes).

Fast forward to the night of the bachelor spaghetti dinner... I opened the jar and tasted it to add to the meat that I'd prepared for it. Mmmm ... pretty good... added a few things to placate my herb-adding urges.

Then, I noticed something about the jar, besides the label, there was something different about the jar. There were designs of some kind in the glass. No... it was writing. I rinsed out the jar (distracted from my dinner) and noticed that there were measurement lines and other writing under the label.

Then I had a though... hey, since we do some canning of our garden veggies, I wonder if a canning jar lid will fit this thing?
I opened the drawer, rummaged around and found a small lid ring and true to form the thing fit PERFECTLY!

After soaking in some warm water, the label came right off revealing the label: ATLAS MASON.

You have to understand that we're really not brand loyalists in our home, but I decided then and there that the next spaghetti sauce that we buy will be Classico in their recyclable Atlas Mason canning jars.

Wonder if their marketing department knew how people would react to this decision and how directly it would effect someone's buying habits?

Who knew that saving the planet's resources could be so yummy? :)

Chris
3GT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers