Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Compost Tea Anyone?

Phase three of my composting adventure is to take some of that luscious compost from my compost tumbler and turn it into "compost tea" that I can water my veggies and flowers with.

After reading several articles about composting and the benefits of using compost tea, I took an old t-shirt (didn't have the recommended cheese cloth), tied up about a shovel full of my compost and dropped it into a clean 5 gallon bucket.

Like good and bad cholesterol, there is good and bad bacteria that can live in compost... and in compost tea. If you want to read more about these aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and why you need one and not the other, check out this site.

I didn't set mine up exactly like they specify here, but I'm going to try this method before going to the more messy method of dumping the compost directly into the bucket and filtering afterwards.

Yum... Compost Tea anyone?

3GT
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers