Monday, May 2, 2011

Eating Okra Leaves


I was reading through one of the gardening books that we've picked up over the last year. The book was something like "Burpee's Total Gardening". Anyway, I was looking at plants that were cold resistant for things to winter in my unheated greenhouse and was reading through various other ones as well about some of the ways to prepare them when I read something I'd never heard of before.

In the section on Okra, it said that the plant was a perennial that is planted as an annual and because of its Hibiscus-like blooms, and that it was more at home in the flower bed than the garden. But that's not the strangest thing... Under the section on preparation it said that the leaves were also edible! So, me being bold as I am, I went out and tore off one of the leaves and chomped down.

I was amazed! The leaves are actually very nice tasting. So, put that in your memory bank and freak someone out sometime when you start eating the leaves off their Okra plant.

Chris
3GT

1 comment:

Followers