Monday, May 9, 2011

Don't Put Your Hand In The Bag!


It's fairly cheesy, I have to admit, but it is a catchy slogan!

Have you heard their commercials? "We're number 1 in the number 2 business". The cow on the purple bag and all... very catchy.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'm talking about the organic compost with cow manure called Moo-nure. Even before I had heard the commercials, I'd purchased several bags of this to work into my garden this year, since my compost wasn't ready in the early spring.

I had about a half of a bag of moo-nure sitting open between my two raised beds, just waiting for me to re-work the soil for my bell pepper plants that a friend gave me. With my 4 year old grand daughter in tow, I proceeded to empty the soil from one of last year's smart pots and was having her "help" me.

We got the soil into the wheel barrow and I explained that we were going to add the "cow poo" to the soil to help the plants to grow. I reached down and grabbed the bag of moo-nure and dumped the remainder of what hadn't been used on to of the soil already in the wheel barrow.

I'm a big guy from the south and don't get startled easily but when all of the contents came out of the bag, I really didn't expect a 14 inch long snake to come out! Sorry, no pics... my daughter, who attempted a pic later, had taken the memory card out of her camera. Just to be clear... I'd seen the snake around the garden the week before. It was NOT packaged in the bag!

The 4 year old thought it was pretty cool, went and got sister, mom and grandmom (who, by the way HATES snakes). After my daughter came out (who, by the way LIKES snakes), we agreed that it wasn't poisonous and, much to my wife's chagrin, picked up the snake and promptly threw it up into the woods behind my house.

Moral of this story, don't put your hand in an opened bag of cow poo ... or something like that.

3GT
Chris

2 comments:

  1. =) Nice. I had a VERY old bad of manure and my chicken found and ATE the BIGGEST, thickest pale worms I've EVER seen. Wow. And there were 10,000,000 ants and earwigs. Chicken had a GOOD day. No snakes, so far, though. Crossing fingers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I have not seen the commercials for Moo-nure but that is pretty catch and I would have loved to see a pic of the snack although I would have been TERRIFIED! haha good lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete

Followers